Autumn is my absolute favorite season. In my opinion, the only bad thing about autumn is that it is followed by winter. Ya, not a fan of the cold. Or the short days. But autumn is perfect. Here are some of my favorite things about it:
1. I love the colors. Living in California, we rarely saw fall colors, except for on TV or in magazines. One of the best things about moving to Oregon has been seeing the foliage change through the seasons, and all of the bright reds, oranges, and golds are beautiful!
2. Apple cider. I love having a cup of apple cider with a snickerdoodle cookie, it’s perfect paired with a rainy afternoon, and a fire in the fireplace.
3. The holidays. Halloween is my favorite holiday (even more than Independence Day, which is my birthday). I’m not sure what I like more: the decorating of the house, or the decorating of the people. Thanksgiving follows close behind, just thinking of turkey, stuffing, and my father-in-law’s onion bread just makes my mouth water!
4. Falling leaves. Ok, maybe it’s because I only have a few trees on my property, but I love raking up the leaves. It’s good exercise, it gets me outside, and it’s fun to jump in the piles. The kids love to help with the jumping part, not so much with the actual raking.
5. Squash. Great for bread, pies, stews, decorations. Bake them with a couple dots of butter and some brown sugar, it’s heavenly!
6. The clothes. I love scarves and jackets, and boots! I felt kinda dumb wearing them in SoCal, where the weather rarely gets cold enough for scarves, but now I can justify my collection.
7. Donuts. There is a market on the other side of town that sells donuts year round. They are all made in house, and the flavor changes with the season (they rarely sell more than two flavors at a time). The fall flavors are my favorite: pumpkin and apple cider. We don’t get donuts very often, but when we do we get them here.
8. School. As much as I love summer with the kids, I don’t really get any breathing room until September when they go back to school. Plus school time gets us back into a routine, which helps with my stress levels.
What is your favorite season of the year, and why?